Blackford Hits Career Milestone in Loss to No. 5 UConn
Story Links Next Game:
at St John’s
08.01.2023 | 14 o’clock
08.01. (Sun) / 2 p.m
at St John’s
CINCINNATI story — Nila Blackford joined the 1,000-point club in Xavier’s 73-37 loss to No. 5 UConn at the Cintas Center on Thursday night. Xavier fell to 7-8 (0-6 BIG EAST) while the Huskies improved to 13-2 (6-0 BIG EAST).
UConn took an early lead of 12-2 and led by up to 41 points (67-26) with 7-56 remaining in regular time. The Huskies capped Xavier to a season-low 37 points and .215 field goal percentage (14 to 65).
• Nila Blackford finished the game as the team’s best with four points and eight rebounds. The senior forward now has 1,002 career points (968 points at Kent State from 2019-22). She added two blocks, an assist, and a game high of four steals (matching her career high in steals).
• Taylor Smith had a team-high 13 points, her 19th career game in double figures. The guard added two rebounds and a block. Kaysia Woods finished the tournament with five points, two assists and two steals. Aanaya Harris scored four points and grabbed six rebounds.
• Xavier had 10 steals in the game, the team’s fifth game this year with 10 or more steals. The Musketeers also forced 22 turnovers, the second-highest turnovers in a Huskies game this season. Xavier has committed 13 turnovers, the fourth fewest in a game this season.
• UConn won the fight on the glass, 56-27, and scored 20 more points on the paint (32-12). The Huskies also scored three more points from turnovers (13-10) and had a 14-5 advantage in second chance points.
• Xavier went 14-for-65 off the ground and 5-for-26 from behind the arc. The Musketeers were 4-for-8 from the foul line.
• UConn finished the game with a field goal percentage of .463 (25 to 54) and went behind the archway 6 to 18. The Huskies were also 17-to-22 from the foul line.
• The Musketeers return to No. 8 on Sunday January 8th. 24 St. John’s back in action. Tipp-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in the Carnesecca Arena.
Women’s Basketball vs. UConn by Xavier Musketeers on Exposure